Warning to parents after TikTok trend leaves boy, 12, hospitalised with severe burns

Warning to parents after TikTok trend leaves boy, 12, hospitalised with severe burns

Parents have been warned after a deadly TikTok viral trend left a 12-year-old boy hospitalised with severe burns.

A child, from East Haven, Connecticut, was rushed to hospital after severe burns on Tuesday after attempting a popular viral challenge.

The “whoosh bottle experiment” involves flammable vapours combusting in a five-gallon water jug.

When ignited it makes a loud “whoosing” noise and fire rushes out the bottle and it has been filmed by hundreds across the app.

The child’s attempt at the viral trend could have led to a fatality and a major fire in the house and the trend is now being replicated across the popular social media app.

The dangerous TikTok trend which left a 12-year-old boy from Connecticut hospitalised
(
TikTok)

Fire officials from East Haven issued a warning to parents after firefighters responded to a call on Tuesday night.

The town’s Fire Marshal Charles Miller is planning to work with nearby schools to increase awareness of the dangers of playing with fire.

In a statement, Miller said: “Take a few minutes to talk to your children about the dangers of playing with ignitable liquids and matches and monitor what they are watching.

“This experiment when done incorrectly can cause severe burns that can permanently scar an individual.”

TikTok is now working to remove the dangerous viral trend.

A spokesperson for the app, in a statement to Newsweek said: “We understand that this school science experiment can be done safely with proper precautions, but videos without visible safety measures will be removed from our platform.

A number of TikTok trends have been dangerous and hurt young children
(
NurPhoto via Getty Images)

“We also work to add caution labels to videos performed in a controlled setting, though they are ineligible for recommendation into people’s For You feeds.”

This is far from the first TikTok challenge that has endangered a child’s life.

Last month, a 10-year-old girl died in her home when taking part in the TikTok ‘Blackout’ challenge.

Read More

Read More

Trending