Travis Scott’s history of riling up crowds after Astroworld gig leaves eight dead

Travis Scott’s history of riling up crowds after Astroworld gig leaves eight dead

Travis Scott has shared his devastation that eight people died at his Astroworld gig on Friday – but it’s not the first time fans say they have been endangered at one of his shows.

In 2017, one fan claimed they were left paralysed after being encouraged by the 30-year-old rapper to leap from a venue balcony in to the crowd below.

The rapper, who is expecting his second child with Kylie Jenner, has built a reputation for rowdy shows, and even admitted that he wants them to have the same intensity and wildness as a WWE wrestling event.

He told GQ in 2015: “I always want to make it feel like it’s the WWF or some s**t. You know, raging and having fun and expressing good feelings is something I plan on doing and spreading across the globe.

Travis Scott performs at Astroworld before tragedy in the crowd stopped the show
(
WireImage)

“We don’t like people who just stand. This is a no-stand zone.”

That same year Travis was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct after his brief appearance at Lollapalooza festival in Chicago.

The plug was pulled on him just a few minutes in to his set after he encouraged the crowd to jump barriers and rush the stage.

Rolling Stone reported that he shouted “Middle finger up to security right now!”

After pleading guilty he was placed on probation for a year.

Two years later he faced similar charges when he was accused of inciting a riot during a performance at the Walmart Arkansas Music Pavilion.

Several people, including a security guard, were injured when he allegedly encouraged the fans to join him on stage.

He pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct, which it was reported was part of a deal with prosecutors to get more serious charges dropped.

Weeks later a performance in New York left a fan partially paralysed.

Travis is expecting his second child with Kylie Jenner
(
Getty Images)

Pregnant Kylie Jenner Uninjured After Travis Scott Astroworld Incident Leaves 8 Dead

Kyle Green, then 23, claims that he was pushed from a third story balcony and then dragged on stage as Travis performed.

The New York Times reported that Travis had specifically encouraged fans on the second-floor balcony to jump down into the crowd.

He said: “Don’t be scared. They’re going to catch you.”

Legal proceedings between Green, Travis Scott, his manager, concert promoter and security firm are on going.

He alleges that they all engaged in “recklessness” that left him partially paralysed and in a wheelchair.

Travis shared a written statement on Twitter after the crowd surge incident at Astroworld
(
Twitter/TravisScott)

Travis posted a video of himself addressing the tragedy on Instagram last night.

He said: “My fans really mean the world to me. I always just really want to leave them with a positive experience. Anytime I can make out what’s going on, I stop the show and help them get the help they need.

“I’m honestly just devastated and I could never imagine anything like this happening.”

There have been eight confirmed fatalities from Friday night’s Astroworld Festival, and hundreds more were injured.

Seventeen people were taken to hospital, 11 suffering from cardiac arrests, while many more were injured, police confirmed. A 10-year-old was among those hurt.

Attendees have described the chaos as people surged to the front, with footage showing fans dancing on ambulances who were trying to reach injured people.

Earlier in the day it was estimated a ‘few hundred’ ticketless people barged through the VIP entrance.

There have also been harrowing accounts of ‘sinkholes’ of people during Travis’ headline slot, and rogue attackers injecting people in the crowds with drugs causing them to collapse, foam at the mouth, or die.

Read More

Read More

Trending